Rural Action’s Environmental Education program connects students and teachers with outdoor learning in Appalachian Ohio. We collaborate with schools to meet science, language arts, math, and social studies standards through environmental education. By learning in nature, we help young people develop a sense of place and give them the tools to make informed decisions about their natural resources. Students experience possible academic and career paths.
Watershed Day Camps
Our watershed day camps registrations are open! Learn more about the locations, cost, and dates for these camps.
Explore Our Programs
For Teachers and Schools
- Attend the annual Appalachian Green Teachers Conference and other professional development experiences for educators.
- Become part of the Appalachian Green Teachers Project by inviting our team to your classroom. Lessons and field trips are tied closely to academic standards, your classroom’s curriculum, and southeast Ohio’s ecology and history.
For Families and Community Members
- Join the Nature Club at the Glouster Public Library!
- Contribute to our Citizen Science projects — the Wayne National Forest BioBlitz or Project NestWatch, which are building knowledge about species in our region.
- Sign your children up for watershed day camps, where they spend summer days in the creeks with the crawdads and salamanders.
For Young Adults
- Want to investigate career opportunities and learn job skills? Rural Action coordinates a paid internship program that places high school students with local businesses.
- Join your school’s Youth Climate Action Team, an environmental leadership program for high schoolers led by Rural Action and Camp Oty’Okwa
- Intern or volunteer! Working with teachers at local high schools, we run a program that places students in internships at diverse local organizations. If your school doesn’t have an internship coordinator, you can contact us directly about interning/volunteering with our program.
National Service Members
Each year, Rural Action mobilizes more than 35 energetic and passionate people across the region to help small communities do big things through our Leadership Development and Service program. Our National Service members serve in communities through a yearlong commitment as part of our Appalachian Ohio Restore Corps, an AmeriCorps State/National program administered by Rural Action, or our through our AmeriCorps VISTA program, Rural Renewal. See members who are currently serving with Rural Action here or learn more about how we are growing local leaders here.