- Department: Watershed Program
- Reports to: Watershed Program Director
- Supervises: N/A
- Hours of work: 40/week non-exempt
- Grade/Salary: Manager/Begins at $35,568
The Water Restoration Project Manager works with Rural Action’s Watershed Program team and partner organizations to manage and implement projects that improve water quality in Ohio, especially within the Maumee River watershed. One of the essential functions of this position will be to work with landowners and gain their support for water quality improvement projects on their land.
This position will require frequent travel to the Maumee River Watershed in Northwest Ohio, as well as regular meetings with Rural Action staff in Athens County, Ohio. Rural Action is open to multiple “home bases” for work within the State of Ohio; however, significant travel within the State of Ohio will be required for all locations.
Essential functions of this position
Project Design and Management
- Work with the Watershed Program Director to implement and manage targeted Phosphorus load reductions projects in the Western Lake Erie Basin Watershed;
- Work with internal RA staff, external partner organizations, and State employees to target and identify project sites eligible under H2Ohio project funding;
- Work with landowners to gain their support for the implementation of water quality improvement projects;
- Once projects have been identified, work with staff, consultants, and landowners to ensure timely progress through design, build, and post-construction monitoring phases;
- Plan appropriate communications to the public about the project and its impacts, both for local audiences in Maumee River Watershed, Rural Action members, and statewide audiences;
- Complete broad outreach to landowners, municipalities, and the farmer community in the project area, including outreach to Farm Bureau chapters, Soil and Water Conservation District staff/Board meetings, townships, and other local organizations.
- In coordination with the Watershed Program Director, complete regular reporting and updates for the H2Ohio grant to Rural Action, including progress reports and contractor payments;
- Attend meetings to provide updates to State officials at Ohio Department of Natural Resources and other agencies, as required, on project progress;
- Assist Watershed team to identify and secure resources for the continuation of Rural Action’s watershed program.
General Rural Action Watershed Program Duties
- Participate in regional and statewide partnerships surrounding watershed restoration in the Ohio River Basin and Lake Erie, such as the Appalachian Ohio Watershed Council, Western Lake Erie Basin Partnership, and the Ohio River Basin Alliance;
- Represent Rural Action at events and give presentations on Rural Action and the watershed program as requested;
- Maintain social media presence and promote watershed events;
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in environmental or watershed restoration;
- Knowledge of nutrient reduction needs/efforts in Ohio, especially within the Maumee River watershed;
- Knowledge of watersheds and streams;
- Willingness to travel frequently. This position may require weekly travel;
- Project management experience;
- Experience working with landowners on environmental restoration projects;
- Self-starter with detail-oriented focus;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Integrity, credibility and commitment to Rural Action’s mission;
- Experience with Google suite, Microsoft Word and Excel, database management, email and other computer software systems;
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed;
- Valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle.
NOTE: The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the applicant a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Rural Action is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and is committed to making employment decisions based on merit. We are committed to complying with any and all pertinent Federal, State and local laws providing equal employment opportunities, as well as all laws related to terms and conditions of employment.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume outlining your experience as it relates to this job description. Send materials to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org subject heading: Water Restoration Project Manager. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired. For consideration, please apply by Friday, October 15, 2021.