- Department: Sustainable Agriculture Program
- Reports to: Director of Sustainable Agriculture and/or Sustainable Agriculture Program Manager
- Supervises: N/A
- Work Dates: May 3, 2021 – October 22, 2021 (25 weeks)
- Hours of Work
- Monday/Thursday 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- Tuesday/Friday 8:00 am – 3:00 pm (less one-hour lunch break)
- Wednesday 7:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Compensation: $16/hour (Not to exceed 25 hours/week or $400/week). This is a contract position; Rural Action will not withhold any taxes for the independent contractor or provide fringe benefits.
The Rural Action Sustainable Agriculture Program works with diversified farms and landowners in Appalachian Ohio to create a stronger regional economy, environment, and community based on our local assets. We achieve this through a focused strategy of specialty crop production, aggregation, distribution, and education.
Started in 2005, the Chesterhill Produce Auction (CPA) serves as a core project of Rural Action’s Sustainable Agriculture program, functioning as the wholesale source of local produce for numerous restaurants, schools, institutions, and value-added businesses. The Local Produce Distribution Assistant will work with the Sustainable Agriculture team to reach local restaurants, institutions, and other wholesale buyers through targeted marketing, sales calls and in-person meetings in order to drive local demand for seasonal produce. The Distribution Assistant will also play a key role in organizing and distributing the CPA Buying Club shares. The CPA Buying Club serves approximately 150 customers each season by providing weekly shares of local produce and value added items delivered to communities for pick-up every Tuesday and Friday.
The Distribution Assistant will confirm all orders to be purchased on auction days, procure the items during the auction, maintain records of purchases, lead a team in assembling Buying Club shares, load items into CPA refrigerated vehicles, drive to all end points, and maintain invoices.
Please note: This position is contract-based and grant funded through the end of the 2021 season.
- Maintain thorough communication with Sustainable Agriculture staff about marketing and sales strategy, bi-weekly orders, and delivery and invoicing for customers;
- Work with Food Access Coordinator (COMCorps member) to learn the management of CPA Buying Club, shadow the Coordinator at the beginning of the season, and transition to full management of the Buying Club by July 2021;
- Work with CPA Manager to create and implement sales outreach plan in target areas;
- Attend all auctions at CPA (Monday and Thursday; May – October);
- Use buying spreadsheet to bid on and procure all orders for buyers and programming;
- Organize produce with necessary tags/markings to separate according to destination;
- Confirm final purchase total and sign off with CPA office staff;
- Load all purchases onto refrigerated delivery truck;
- Create delivery invoices for buyers;
- Determine delivery schedule with Sustainable Agriculture staff;
- Deliver orders with refrigerated vehicles on days following auctions;
- Collect all payments from buyers and maintain payment log; route all payments to Sustainable Agriculture staff.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter that outlines your interest in this position and any relevant experience addressed to Tom Redfern, Director of Sustainable Agriculture. Resume and cover letter may be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com