- Title: Local Produce Distribution Assistant
- Department: Sustainable Agriculture Program
- Reports to: Director of Sustainable Agriculture and Sustainable Agriculture Program Manager
- Supervises: N/A
- Hours of work:Work Dates: August 1, 2022 – October 31, 2022Monday 3:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Tuesday 7:00 am – 2:00 pm (less one-hour lunch break)
Wednesday 7:00 am – 2:00 pm (less one-hour lunch break)
Thursday 3:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Friday 7:00am – 2:00 pm (less one-hour lunch break)
* These hours are flexible and will vary from week to week depending on Rural Action’s schedule and
The Rural Action Sustainable Agriculture Program works with diversified farms and landowners in
Appalachian Ohio to create a stronger regional economy, environment, and community based on our
local assets. We achieve this through a focused strategy of specialty crop production, aggregation,
distribution, and education.
Started in 2005, the Chesterhill Produce Auction (CPA) serves as a core project of Rural Action’s
Sustainable Agriculture program, functioning as the wholesale source of local produce for numerous
restaurants, schools, institutions, and value-added businesses. The Local Produce Distribution Assistant will work with the Sustainable Agriculture team to reach local restaurants, institutions, and other wholesale buyers through targeted marketing, sales calls and in-person meetings in order to drive local demand for seasonal produce. The Distribution Assistant will support the procurement and distribution for the following projects: Order Buying, Buying Club, Country Fresh Stops, and Farm to School. They will also support the team with Produce Prescriptions when needed.
● Order Buying is a CPA service in which customers can place orders over the phone or via the
website order form to be purchased by the Distribution Assistant, invoiced, and in some cases,
● The Buying Club serves approximately 150 customers each season by providing weekly shares of
local produce and value added items delivered to communities every Tuesday and Friday.
● Country Fresh Stops is a food access project in which Rural Action partners with corner stores,
gas stations, roadside markets and healthcare providers to ensure consistent accessibility of local
food products in rural communities where access to fresh, local produce is often limited.
● Farm to School brings high-quality local food into school systems, sourced from the CPA and
other local producers.
● Produce Prescriptions is a food access project in which healthcare providers sign up patients to
receive a mixed share of fresh produce to manage their chronic health conditions.
The Distribution Assistant will confirm all orders to be purchased on auction days, procure the items
during the auction, maintain records of purchases, lead a team in assembling mixed produce shares, load
items into CPA refrigerated vehicles, drive to all end points, and maintain invoices.
Please note: This position is contract-based and grant funded through the end of the 2022 season.
● Maintain thorough communication with Sustainable Agriculture staff about bi-weekly orders,
marketing and sales strategy, and delivery and invoicing for customers;
● Work with other Local Produce Distribution Assistant and Food Access Coordinator (COMCorps
member) to coordinate distribution efforts and sub for one another;
● Work with CPA Manager to create and implement sales outreach plan in target areas;
● Attend all auctions at CPA (Monday and Thursday; May 13 – October 28);
● Use buying spreadsheet to bid on and procure all orders for buyers and programming;
● Organize produce with necessary tags/markings to separate according to destination;
● Confirm final purchase total and sign off with CPA office staff;
● Load all purchases onto refrigerated delivery truck;
● Create delivery invoices for buyers;
● Determine delivery schedule with Sustainable Agriculture staff;
● Deliver orders with refrigerated vehicles on days following auctions;
● Collect all payments from buyers and maintain payment log; route all payments to Sustainable
● Track customer and program purchases and keep detailed records.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter that outlines your interest in this position and any
relevant experience addressed to Tom Redfern, Director of Sustainable Agriculture. Resume and cover
letter may be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled.
NOTE: The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the applicant a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of the position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Rural Action is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and is committed to making employment decisions based on merit. We are committed to complying with any and all pertinent Federal, State and local laws providing equal employment opportunities, as well as all laws related to terms and conditions of employment.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com