rural_action Rural Action
- Department: Sustainable Agriculture Program
- Reports to: Director of Sustainable Agriculture and/or Sustainable Agriculture Program Manager
- Supervises: N/A
- Work Dates: May 3, 2021 – October 22, 2021 (25 weeks)
- Hours of Work
- Monday/Thursday 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- Tuesday/Friday 8:00 am – 10:00 am
- Wednesday 7:00 am – 10:00 am
- Compensation: $16/hour (Not to exceed 15 hours/week or $240/week). This is a contract position; Rural Action will not withhold any taxes for the independent contractor or provide fringe benefits.
The Rural Action Sustainable Agriculture Program works with diversified farms and landowners in Appalachian Ohio to create a stronger regional economy, environment, and community based on our local assets. We achieve this through a focused strategy of specialty crop production, aggregation, distribution, and education.
Started in 2005, the Chesterhill Produce Auction (CPA) serves as a core project of Rural Action’s Sustainable Agriculture program, functioning as the wholesale source of local produce for numerous restaurants, schools, institutions, and value-added businesses. The Food Access Assistant will work with the Sustainable Agriculture team to coordinate the distribution of healthy, local produce for food access initiatives. This includes local schools, retail partners, institutions, and other locations within USDA designated food deserts. The Food Access Assistant will also play a key role in organizing and distributing produce prescriptions with local healthcare providers in Ohio and West Virginia. Rural Action’s produce prescriptions support hundreds of low income patients with fresh, healthy food each season by providing weekly shares of local produce to community clinics.
The Food Access Assistant will confirm all food access orders to be purchased on auction days, procure the items during the auction, maintain records of purchases, lead a team in assembling produce prescriptions, load items into CPA refrigerated vehicles, drive to all end points, and maintain invoices.
Please note: This position is contractual and grant funded through the end of the 2021 season.
- Maintain thorough communication with Sustainable Agriculture staff about food access strategies, bi-weekly orders, and delivery and invoicing;
- Work with Sustainable Agriculture team to learn the management of produce prescriptions, and transition to full coordination of the produce prescriptions by July 2021;
- Attend all auctions at CPA (Monday and Thursday; May – October);
- Use buying spreadsheet to bid on and procure all orders for food access initiatives;
- Organize produce with necessary tags/markings to separate according to destination;
- Confirm final purchase total and sign off with CPA office staff;
- Load all purchases onto refrigerated delivery truck;
- Create delivery invoices;
- Determine delivery schedule with Sustainable Agriculture staff;
- Deliver orders with refrigerated vehicles on days following auctions;
- Collect all payments and maintain payment log; route all payments to Sustainable Agriculture staff.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter that outlines your interest in this position and any relevant experience addressed to Tom Redfern, Director of Sustainable Agriculture. Resume and cover letter may be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com