In 2013, Rural Action was awarded over $12,000 from the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency to purchase a 7’ x 16’ trailer completely stocked with all the tools necessary for a successful cleanup event. The cleanup and beautification trailer includes rakes, shovels, gloves, safety signs and vests, leaf blowers, bags, and trash and recycling containers. For a full list of supplies, click here.
The trailer is now available for a cleanup event in your area! It is FREE of charge to any group of at least 15 volunteers working with a Keep Southeast Ohio Beautiful partner.
What exactly is a cleanup and beautification event?
- A cleanup consists of removing litter or various other trash from an outdoor area. This trailer is perfect for a big community volunteer day, a big planting day, or other work that requires a lot of tools.
- A beautification event consists of planting gardens, raking leaves, removing vandalism, or any other effort that makes your community a more beautiful place to live.
- If you are planning an event where you would only need tools that you can throw into the back of your car, our trailer is probably not necessary for your efforts.
How can you rent the trailer for a cleanup event in your town or city?
- First, the trailer must be checked out and hauled by a KSEOB (Keep Southeast Ohio Beautiful) Partner. KSEOB partners include:
- Wayne National Forest ・ Ohio University ・ City of Athens ・ Athens City-County Health Department ・ Lawrence-Scioto Solid Waste Management District ・ Athens County Sheriff’s Department ・ Little Cities of the Forest ・ Athens Soil and Water Conservation District ・ NRCS Area 5-Athens County ・ Meadowview Farm ・ WATH/Power 105 Radio Marietta-Washington County Convention & Visitors Bureau ・Waste Management ・ Perry County Waste Reduction & Recycling ・ ReSTORE Marietta
- You must also make sure that all necessary paperwork is completed:
- Send all completed applications to Solid Waste & Litter Control Officer, George Nowicki at email@example.com. If you have any other questions or concerns about reserving our trailer, you may also reach him at (740) 592-3306.
Other important things to consider:
- Truck requirements:
- Your Keep Southeast Ohio Beautiful partner must be driving at least a 3/4 ton truck or van, with a towing capacity of at least 5,000 lbs, a break controller (often comes on newer trucks, but must be installed on older trucks), and a class 3 receiver hitch that is mounted to the frame of the vehicle.
- The loaded trailers weighs about 2500 lbs, has a 7 way round pin plug, and is 7′ X 16′
- Insurance Policy:
- Liability follows the car that is pulling the trailer
Special thanks to key partners on the grant: Wayne National Forest, Athens Health Department, and the City of Athens as well as Athens-Hocking Solid Waste District who provided the match money for the trailer!