As gas prices continue to rise many families depend on affordable means of travel to work. Carpooling is one solution. People sharing the ride with others driving to the same general area can minimize travel costs, save energy, and reduce their carbon footprint.
Athens County Commissioners, Rural Action and the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) have partnered to expand the current system of park and ride lots to encourage carpooling and increase ride sharing opportunities.
Our committee efforts have completed and ODOT intends on creating or enhancing the following lots.
- State Route 124 at State Route 7 near Little Hocking
- State Route 124 at State Route 7 near New Hockingport
- State Route 550 near U.S. Route 33 – paving an existing lot
- State Route 690 at State Route 50 near the County Engineers Facility
- State Route 691 and U.S. Route 33 near Hocking College and the new interchange of the Nelsonville Bypass
The Park and Ride effort has been turned over to the capable hands of Hocking – Athens – Perry Community Action. They will be promoting the use of the lots as part of a larger program of transportation issues for the area. More information can be found at www.hapcap.org