If it’s been awhile since your Boy Scout or Girl Scout days, here is a simple trick to create fire starters out of items that you may have around the house.
This simple craft is an excellent solution to what to do with your left over candle scraps, scented wax tarts or broken crayons.
These fire starters are a great way to start that summer campfire.
Things you will need:
- Cupcake papers
- Wax candle scraps, wax crayon stubs, left-over paraffin wax or used wax tarts
- Wood shavings, paper scraps or drier lint
- Cupcake or muffin pan
- Large coffee can, old double boiler or other can used to melt the wax
- An old spoon or small ladle
Place the wax chunks that you have collected in the coffee can or double boiler. Melt the wax by heating the coffee can in a saucepan of boiling water or your old double boiler. Use caution when melting the wax. Remember that wax is a highly flammable material.
Add wood shavings, paper scraps or drier lint to the melted wax in the can or double boiler so that the materials are completed coated. If you opt to use drier lint over wood shavings you should add enough so that the consistency becomes significantly more thick or you can add scraps of paper that you have laying around the house.
Place the cupcake liners into the muffin or cupcake tin. Fill each cup cake paper with the melted wax mixture, packing down the blend with an old spoon or ladle until the paper cup is full.
Place the pan in a safe place until the fire starters cool and solidify completely.
When you want to start a fire, put your kindling in place with the fire starter in the middle of the kindling. Set fire to the paper cup. The fire starter will make a small flame that will last about five minutes. By then, your fire should be burning well.
These materials ARE flammable. Please use caution when attempting to craft these fire starters. Only you can determine in which situations these fire starters are safe for you to make. And only you can determine whether they are safe to burn for the purpose that you have in mind. Remember, you use these directions entirely at your own risk.