Join Rural Action at United Plant Savers May 5th to the 7th for our family-friendly Birds in the Hills Festival, a weekend experience for all ages to explore the beautiful birds, flowers and diversity of Southeast Ohio.
- The event runs from May 5th to the 7th
- Contact Becca Farley for more information: 740-767-4938; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lodging and camping are available at United Plant Savers. Food will be catered by Kiser’s BBQ (vegetarian options available) and coffee purchased from Dirty Girl Coffee.
- This event is not pet-friendly as we want to ensure high-quality wildlife-viewing experiences and a safe environment for children.
Join Rural Action, the Athens Area Birders, and Camp Oty’Okwa for our family-friendly Birds in the Hills Festival May 5th-7th at United Plant Savers. This three-day festival will feature activities for adults, families, and specifically for children. We welcome anyone with even a remote interest in birds, especially those who have never picked up a pair of binoculars. Meals and camping are available Friday night- Sunday at United Plant Savers, which has a diverse ecosystem.
Birds in the Hills Festival will feature field trips to Lake Hope State Park, Lake Snowden, and bird walks through United Plant Savers’ black willow grove, riparian fields, and deep forests. Participants can expect to see and hear up to 20 species of warblers, including the cerulean warbler, as well as scarlet tanagers, yellow-billed cuckoos, and a plethora of other migratory songbirds. Festival attendees will also have the opportunity to build bird feeders, bird houses, and meet other nature enthusiasts. You can also listen to a local band and enjoy local beers.
- Field trips to Lake Hope State Park and Lake Snowden with expert bird watchers
- Hikes through United Plant Savers’ botanical sanctuary with native plant experts
- Keynote on Friday evening, May 5th from Katie Fallon, author of Cerulean Blues
- Activities for children and families such as hikes and building bird boxes
- Beer tasting and a live band
- Click here to see the full schedule
Guided Field Trips
- Enjoy expert lead birding trips in beautiful locations:
- Zaleski State Forest and Lake Hope lead by Bruce Simpson
- Lake Snowden lead by Stefan Gleissberg
Can’t wait for the festival? Tune in to our podcasts to learn more about the festival, citizen science, and much more! Click here to begin listening. Make sure to check back again soon for more exciting updates!
Birds in The Hills is sponsored by